LEGIT logo rainbow globe
  home about us to immigrate resources q&a sitemap contact  

To Immigrate

family calss
outside Canada
in canada application
application tips
special circumstances
foreign couples
temporary visas

Making an In Canada Class Application for Spouses or Common-law Partners

Use this application if you are legally married spouses or common-law partners living in Canada.

  • You may only use this application if you are legally married spouses or common-law partners living in Canada.
  • The In Canada Class is only for spouses and common-law partners and their dependent children. It is not for conjugal partners.
  • One partner must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • The non-Canadian partner is not required to have legal temporary status in Canada and regardless of status, is able to apply for permanent residence while remaining in Canada.
    Refugee claimants may qualify for the In Canada Class under certain circumstances. Contact LEGIT-Vancouver for details.
  • To apply as common-law partners you must be able to demonstrate that you have lived together in committed and interdependent relationship for at least one year.
  • To apply as spouses you must have a legal marriage certificate.
  • If you do not meet the requirements above consider applying Outside Canada or see Special Circumstances.

Back to top

Things To Think About Before Choosing This Option
  • Remember that any time you leave Canada you may not be allowed to return to Canada. In this case, your application could be refused.
  • Applicants can apply for a work permit once the application has been approved in principle and before the application process has been completed.
  • For applications made within Canada there is no Right of Appeal if an application is denied. The Canadian sponsors of applications made outside of Canada generally do have a right of appeal if the application is denied.

Back to top

How To Apply
  • Select the correct application kit. The forms for In Canada class are different from the forms for Family Class applications made outside Canada. The kit is called Applying for Permanent residence from Within Canada Spouse of Common-law Partner In Canada Class.
  • You can download or request the guide and forms on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site.
  • Complete all parts of the application, collect all supporting documents, and pay the fee
  • Send the forms, documents, and fee receipt to Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

Back to top

How Applications Are Processed
  • All In Canada Class Applications as well as requests for visa extensions are sent to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.
  • An immigration officer reviews the application.
  • If more information or an interview is needed, the application will be forwarded to the immigration office nearest to the applicant.
Processing Times
  • Vegreville timelines vary depending on the number of applications received.
  • If an interview is required the length of time will vary from office to office.

Back to top


Home | About Us | To Immigrate | Resources | Q&A | Sitemap | Contact
Last update: Mar. 9, 2005

Disclaimer and Copyrights information

This page provides information for making an In Canada Class application.
Things To Think About Before Choosing This Option
How To Apply
How Applications Are Processed
Processing Times